If like me you are interested in personal and professional development, I thought I would share some of my top picks (as at 2020). I usually listen using Audible first, then the good ones I’ll read on Kindle so that I can take highlights/notes. This allows me to easily revisit key points and helps me put together my own thoughts and ideas on the topics.
Books in the order I’d suggest reading them:
- Summary of Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind – This is a good reality check on people and the world (warning: if you are religious it may be considered offensive as it takes the scientific view of the world).
- Deep Work: Rules for Focused Success in a Distracted World – this is a must read for managing your time on your own terms.
- ReWork: Change the Way You Work Forever – elements of Deep Work but so much more. ReWork will help you succeed in business in an outside of the norm kinda way. Highly recommended.
- Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action – Love this one. Great view on how we should lead and how it relates to business.
- Confessions of a Public Speaker by Scott Berkin – terrific book to give you more confidence with public speaking.
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change – I found this to be a tough read first time around. Not sure why. Then, I listed to the audio book, loved it, and re-read. Immensely powerful.
- Never Split the Difference: Negotiating as if Your Life Depended on It – if you want to learn how to negotiate with people, this is an easy-to-understand book that you can put into practice straight away.
- Way of the Wolf: Straight Line Selling: Master the Art of Persuasion, Influence, and Success – if you are into selling or just want to be more convincing, this is a great perspective on doing just that! I’m still trying to figure out how to put this into practice as sales is not a natural strength of mine!
Understanding yourself, others and the world in general will make you much more effective in everything you do. Enjoy and share if you have any must reads, I’d love to hear!